Friday, May 23, 2008

The Vollers Turn 4

HAPPY 4TH ANNIVERSARY, VOLLERS!

Yes, on the 22nd of May, we are happy to say, we have been in wedded bliss for 4 whole years! (did that sound Dr. Suess-ish?) HA! It's funny to think of what a really short time that is in the grand journey that is marriage, but we figure it's best to count every one with festive, banging, steel drums.

2003


In the spirit of my cousins, Sunny, Holly and Nikki, I am going to do a "What I Love" entry about the Voller Marriage. It seems appropriate to pick the.... drum roll, please...

TOP 4 REASONS THE VOLLER MARRIAGE IS THE BOMB.

2004


1. Communication. Yes, I know, all us couples "communicate." Where's my keys? Will you buy me this cereal next grocery stop? What did I do wrong this time? :) But I'm grateful for the fact that Steve and I have great TALKS! Our first date at Bistro Bella Vita, we touched on religion, God, and politics all in an hour dinner conversation and it hasn't stopped yet. Steve still looks at me sometimes and says, "I've been thinking about Goethe-ian Science." Or I grab him and say, "I was thinking about Obama vs. McCain or Hillary vs. McCain." This is my favorite thing about us.

2005


2. Laughter. Steve and I bicker just like everyone else. Lately, it seems like it's more often than before as stessful situaitons take their toll. But in the end I don't laugh as hard with anyone as I do with Steve. Sometimes his humor makes me shake my head in disapproval (him passing gas extra loud because Celia likes to copy the sound he makes -- ummm.. yeah.) But in the end, I think he's funny.

2006


3. Belief. I don't think I could have managed marriage with anyone that wasn't as passionate about their beliefs as I am. (it helps that they are the SAME beliefs :) ) We love learning about food and the farm and the science of our bodies. We are very into the environment and the effects of our choices on Celia's children. We are very passionate about attachment parenting. We are great believers of the outdoors and it's ability to heal, give peace, and excite any day. I love this about Steve.

2007


4. In Your Face Honesty. Sometimes, this doesn't go as planned. My temper sometimes gets a leg up from the brain part of me that WOULD have said, "Umm.. think a minute, this is silly." But all in all, our ability to tell each other ALL -- and I mean ALL -- has given us not only such an open relationship, but it is so freeing to know that we can totally be ourselves and tell each other anything, and the next morning, we're still married, and we still think the other is pretty cool. (sometimes it takes J about that, 24 hours, to cool off)

2008



This year we celebrated our anniversary going on the Leelanau Wine Trail here in Michigan. For the NON-Michiganders, hold up your left hand and the top of your pinky would be Leelanau. And it is GEORGEOUS people! Again, Michigan is a hidden gem. Here is a photo montage of our GREAT FUN!

And Celia did GREAT! 2 days with Grandma Char turned out to be just fine (although she took NO MILK but a few drinks the whole time -- she'd take water from the glass, but no milk -- smarty! Grandma Char stocked her up on lots of food and extra yogurt)And on Sunday we were both up at 6am and excited to get home to our girl we missed SO MUCH!

The View from our room at the Vineyard Inn!



Michigan is SOOO pretty! This is the view from Leelanau Cellars, our first stop.



And get this! The people on our wine tour -- from 14 Mile RD IN ROCKFORD! We just met these people, had no idea who our tour mates were when we booked this! Then, we get to the first winery and the wine pourer, Kathy, used to be a teacher at the VERY school that one of our tour mates is a custodian at here in Rockford! AND THEN, in walks someone I recognize! Low and behold it is a Dr. VanOtteren that I use to work with in Critical Care here in Grand Rapids!! Uncanny! Dr. Glenn even bought us an anniversary gift!


Here we are at Willow Vineyards! It's for SALE PEOPLE! Anyone have 2.2 Million the Vollers could borrow!?


This used to be a chicken coop! Shady Lane Cellars transformed it into a tasting station! Pretty posh place for a chicken.



And Look How Beauiful the vineyards are! You don't have to drink wine to just sit back and enjoy such lovliness!




All in all we visited 7 wineries! We could have visited 7 new ones the next day but had to get home! AHHH!! Next time! :)

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Yea!! The Vollers ARE the bomb!!! Glad you had a good time and were able to get away for a bit. For some reason I thought this was 5 for you! Yea for 4 anyway!!

Binne77 said...

Congratulations! 4-years and to be as great and happy as you are...is a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Nikki said...

I love your "4" list :) Each one is so deep, meaty, and lovely.
Happy Anniversary! (We just celebrated #16 this month!)
Michigan is so beautiful. I guess it's kind of a plus.. then you just get to meet your friends and neighbors while on vacation. No pesky out of staters! :) That's so funny how that turned out for you!

Daye said...

I will ALWAYS remember your wedding ceremony. Esp. cuz it is the day before OUR anni ! :)-- It was so freakin' beautiful. Whenever I hear the "stupidly happy" song I just get all choked up and teary because it reminds me of how incredibly strong and honest your commitment is, how amazingly unique the two of you are. Congrats darlings!