Monday, December 10, 2007

A Year of L's

Well, it's here again --- the New Year. I, like most folks, tend to think of this time as a time to make some changes. Time to reflect upon the kind of year I want... the kind of LIFE I want: sit back and follow my daydreams, my conscious unconscious, my should've, would've, could've's of 2007. And although the goals seem to go forgotten after the sparkling orb makes its desent into Time Square, the reflection to make these New Years Resolutions? -- now, that is interesting to me. Not to mention, that this year will be different. I have deemed it thus.


I call this my Year of L's.


My first L:


LOVE:

I love.
Be sure of this.
I love deeply.
Yet, something in my make-up seems to halt the expression of this love like the claustrophobic person before they make the decision to ride the elevator. Now, I'm good with words. I EXPRESS my love freely in words. Yet, it tends to come out in the "fasten your seatbelt, oxygen falls from the ceiling, your cushion can float" kind of way: those really important things you need to hear but why put TOO much umph behind them? I want people to KNOW and more importantly FEEL my love. I want to love like Celia loves. Like Elle pup loves. So, that's #1.


LAUGH:

No one can argue. Laughing = Good.
I like to laugh!
Who doesn't?
Many times though, I get frusturated, angry or bothered when really, laughing would be so much more fun. Not to mention would lighten up our already deeply encumbered lives. (not just mine and steve's but I say "our" in the cultural sense) So that's #2.



LISTEN:
I hear you. I do.
Yes, your lips are moving.
Yes, I heard your words.
But, do I really HEAR you. You know how it is. When you're having a conversation and your eyes begin to glaze over like they would if someone said "cupcake" while you were fasting. Oddly, we nod, say "Uh huh" or "Right" in just the precise places. This year I'd like to do away with that type of listening. When someone forms their emotions from their mouth, I'd like to stop what I'm doing, look right at them, and LISTEN. Put aside whatever seems to be more important in the moment -- after all, isn't there ALWAYS something to do. But I want to see and hear my loved ones. That's #3.

The last L:


LOCAL:

Go Local. Our mantra.
Support local biz, yes?
Be more involved in community, yes?
But here in lies the real reason for why I write to you all today. We are going on a journey of food inspired by the book "Plenty" by Alisa Smith and J.B. Mackinnon. We are going to attempt to eat for 1 year within 100 miles of our home. What does this mean? We are only going to buy and consume that which was grown or made within 100 miles from Rockford, MI. There are exceptions, free-bees, and a 200 mile allowance for staples that may be just a bit further away -- but that will all be sighted in our monthly chronicle of our adventure. Be sure to check the blog monthly to get filled in on this fun, crazy and some may say obsessive hoop-la the vollers will be embarking on. The last week of December we will lay out our intentions, and then as the hats are donned and the bubbly races down our collective gullets, we will indeed begin.



Let's go.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

I love it! You are always so forward thinking, Jean. I so admire that about you. Such a good idea to make all of your resolution begin with the letter "L" makes it easy to remember which is important with mommy head. I look forward to see how your "local" resolution goes. It will be easy for you to get produce locally in MI. You'll just have to dust off those canning skills to last you into the winter. :) Do you have a baby food grinder? That will help too. Just remember that you're not suppose to home prepare carrots, beets, turnips, collard greens, and spinach because in some parts of the country there can be too many nitrates in them and can cause a strange anemia. The farmers locally may know about this because of Gerber baby food co being so close. So it may not be a problem. Power to you! I'm eager to see how that goes! :)

Binne77 said...

I am sitting here being annoyed I can't get all my information removed from the WINK website...and you are thinking about THIS!

I am going to sit down and follow suit. You are as always a beacon of thought and direction.

Kudos and Prosperous journey on your 'L' goals in 2008

Daye said...

*admiring glance*

Nikki said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New year Jeannie. Great plan for the new year... I know you'll be able to stick to these- you are a very committed gal. Hope you enjoyed baby's first holidays!